The days are getting longer, and the sun is shining a little brighter. Winter has made its exit and we’re ready to welcome spring!
Spring, signals a fresh start and for many of us, begins with spring cleaning our apartments, home and even office spaces. It’s a chance to declutter, clean, refresh your space and pack away any reminders of winter. For some however, the mere thought of spring cleaning is enough to want another five months of winter.
Health benefits of cleaning:
Performing a thorough cleaning of your home or office has several health benefits:
- Protects the immune system
- Deters bugs and rodents from visiting your space
Let the overhaul begin
Whether you have a few minutes, an entire weekend, or want to dedicate more time spring cleaning can be easily accomplished. Many people dread spring cleaning or give up on it all together because they simply don’t know where to start. Never fear, we are here to guide you. Begin by pulling out all of your cleaning supplies and tools, do a quick scan to ensure you have everything you need such as cloths, all-purpose cleaners, a broom, mop and a vacuum. There are several products on the market to help you get the job done.
If you prefer a more natural approach , you can make your own cleaning solution. White vinegar, baking soda and dish soap are all you need to mix the perfect formula. The best part: it’s budget-friendly and they’re ingredients you may already have in your cupboard.
Now, the fun part! You’ll want to tackle the areas around your space that are often ignored — behind and underneath furniture, baseboards, window frames and coverings, window sills, light fixtures and vents.
Next on the list is the kitchen, living room, and bedroom. Don’t worry about concealed areas like closets, cupboards and drawers — save those until the very end.
If you’re looking for detailed checklists or help creating a robust cleaning schedule, look no further. The Internet is a valuable place for resources and inspiration.
Ideas for every room:
We’ve curated a checklist of commonly forgotten areas in your home or office to make your spring cleaning a success.
Entry way -
- Wipe down walls, ceiling, light switches and front door
- Vacuum carpet / wash floor
- Dust any furniture and decor
Living room -
- Vacuum curtains and dust blinds
- Wipe down ceiling, walls, light switches
- Vacuum sofa and other fabric furniture
- Wash blankets and throw pillows
- Dust decor
- Scrub the interior of your oven with an oven-safe cleaning solution
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets, ceiling, backsplash and countertops
- Polish kitchen appliances
- Clean doors, frames and handles
- Deep clean fridge and freezer
- Vacuum / wash shower curtain, towels and bathmat
- Wipe down backsplash and countertops
- Clean faucet and sink
- Dust / wash floor
- Replenish toilet paper, soap and other toiletries
- Wash windows
- Vacuum window coverings and dust blinds
- Wash bedding and blankets
- Flip / rotate mattress
- Vacuum carpets
- Wash windows
Office space -
- Dust desktop, picture frames and decor
- Throw out / donate items you no longer need
- Wipe down monitor, mouse, and other computer equipment
- Untangle cords
- Disinfect office phone
- Throw out / shred unwanted paperwork and files
You can start in any room and move though in any order, but the most important part of spring cleaning enjoy the process. It is also a time to check that everything is in order, ensuring there are no surprise leaks, mold or holes. If there is, contact your property manager immediately. If you’re tackling the job by yourself, put on some of your favourite music to pass the time. Get the family involved! Assign everyone a different room or task. More importantly, don’t forget to reward yourself after the job is done. After all, you won’t need to worry about spring cleaning for another year.